Tips for creating a completely self sustaining ecosphere for an ant colony?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

megamacho

Tips for creating a completely self sustaining ecosphere for an ant colony?

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:23 pm

For those who don't know: an ecosphere is a sealed ecosystem and its possible to create ecospheres that can live for decades, when the conditions are right. I think it would be really cool if I could create one, in which an ant colony could live without the need of any kind of intervention.

I was thinking all you'd need would be a self sustaining population of prey insects and plants that function as a sugar source, which are able to reproduce in a small closed ecosystem.

Are there any plants that could be used for that? Which insects could live here?

Antfan

Re: Tips for creating a completely self sustaining ecosphere for an ant colony?

Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 am

I'm pretty sure you couldn't make that due to it having to be sealed. However, if you want something that looks similar, you could make a terrium and make it natural and feed them and have natural living things in there.

Antfan

Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 am

megamacho wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:23 pm
For those who don't know: an ecosphere is a sealed ecosystem and its possible to create ecospheres that can live for decades, when the conditions are right. I think it would be really cool if I could create one, in which an ant colony could live without the need of any kind of intervention.

I was thinking all you'd need would be a self sustaining population of prey insects and plants that function as a sugar source, which are able to reproduce in a small closed ecosystem.

Are there any plants that could be used for that? Which insects could live here?
Look at my response bellow for a few tips. The plants you could use would be Moss, Terrium plants, plants you get from seeds.

Hawkeye

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:23 pm

Hey there,

I have been interested in that as well, albeit an open instead of closed environment. I think I came up with a descent mix of ants, insects, fish, shellfish and plants but I'd be very keen on hearing your perspective. Take a look at:

https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14842

And let me know what you think? Any feedback would be appreciated