Cleaning ant graveyards

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Whitelotus

Cleaning ant graveyards

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 am

My Tetramorium colony has recently begun to place their fallen sisters in little divots of sand within my formicarium. The formicarium is filled with sand is is difficult to properly clean without harming some of the other ants. Anyone have any tips?

Hunter36o

Re: Cleaning ant graveyards

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:38 am

Monitor it a bit more first. Ants have less active hours throughout the day and if you catch that time you should have better luck at cleaning out an area of the formicarium depending on the shape and design that is.
For my ants, early afternoon is a quiet time so I generally do my cleaning then. Hope this helps.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

JoeHostile1

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 am

Ants like to dump in the same place. So once you have it cleaned out maybe you can put in a little tray or piece of tinfoil or something that you can easily take out and dump.

As far as there just being too many ants walking around the garbage pile, well you will realize that with Tetramorium sacrifices have to be made. Those colonies get so big plus once they reach a certain size there will always be workers walking around the garbage pile. You could try and scare them away by clapping, but that might cause the whole nest to freak out.

Me I just use a little hand held vacuum when cleaning the garbage pile and a bunch of ants get sucked up in the process. I justify it because Number 1 my colony has several thousand workers so losing a dozen or so every couple weeks literally has no effect on the colony. And every spring these tetramorium workers come out of their nests and battle their neighbouring tetramorium colonies for territory. So a colony in the wild would lose hundreds possibly thousands of workers in these battles. In captivity they lose none.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Whitelotus

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 am

Thanks for the tips you guys. I will try a vacuum and monitor their activity when I get the chance.