Ant barrier problems

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntGalMN

Ant barrier problems

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi,

Recently I had a Formica colony that was over two dozen strong. I put their test tube in a plastic food storage container with a barrier of a alcohol and baby powder mixer. After a while a couple of the ants that were wandering out for food started to move very irregularly. I was worried , and my fears were made real when half the colony died over night. I quickly sealed of all of the colony back in the tube, but it was too late. I am thinking that I must have added too much alcohol to the barrier and the ants were walking weird because they became "drunk" off the alcohol and died. However, I've never heard of this happening before, can someone help me figure out what happened so that I can prevent it happening again.

JoeHostile1

Re: Ant barrier problems

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 am

Was it a proper test tube filled with water?
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntGalMN

Re: Ant barrier problems

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes, They were given plenty of access to fresh water via test tube