Queen Ant Behavior and Care Needs in Test Tube Setup

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

LiveAlex417

Queen Ant Behavior and Care Needs in Test Tube Setup

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Hey all!
I just started my first test tube setup today. I think I've got a queen Prenolepis Imparis based mostly on the nuptial flights in my area and it's distribution. I have the cotton and water at the end of the test tube, but I've read a few different things about feeding.

Do I need to feed the queen at any point? If so, how would I know if she needs protein or honey-water or both?

Also, the cotton at the opening of the test tube should be pretty light and fluffy to let enough air in?

Thanks very much!

Alex

Dann28

Re: Queen Ant Behavior and Care Needs in Test Tube Setup

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:44 pm

When your queen has around 5-10 workers, you can feed them a small drop of honey or sugar water, or a cricket leg around once a week. Make sure to keep the queen in a dark place, and try to check up on her only around a week or so. Make sure that the cotton at the end of the test tube isnt too light, i would loosen a cotten ball then block the entrance (or exit). There are also lots of tutorials online.
Im still a beginner :D .
-Camponatus Clarithorax /w 2 queens

JoeHostile1

Re: Queen Ant Behavior and Care Needs in Test Tube Setup

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 am

First you need to properly identify the queen to determine if it needs feeding during the founding stage. I always feed my queens when I first catch them no matter what. I Soak a piece of a cotton ball in sugar water (50% sugar, 50% water) and slide it in the test tube, and I also place a fruit fly or cricket leg in there to see if she wants it. The cotton ball can stay in there, but the food should be removed after a couple days.

You do not need to be concerned with air when it comes to ants. Yes they absorb air (they don’t breathe it), but they need very little compared to a mammal or something with lungs. You could completely seal the test tube and they would be fine.

Also I wouldn’t wait Until the queen has 10 workers to feed them unless the 10 workers were born in the same day. Sometimes only two or theee will be born and it may take a couple weeks for the next batch to be born. You don’t want them going weeks without food waiting for an arbitrary number of workers to be born.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA