Best substrate for AC ant tower?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

nikkirichards03

Best substrate for AC ant tower?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 am

I have a small colony of ghost ants (tapinoma melanocephalum). They didn't like the sand that the ant tower came with as they're really tiny and the sand is almost as big as them. I switched it out for coconut fiber, which is what they were living in before, but I'm having a problem with it constantly molding from the moisture in the tower. Is there a similar, lightweight substrate that won't mold up as easily from the tower's bottom up watering system?

antnest8

Re: Best substrate for AC ant tower?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Maybe potting soil, It will still mold but maybe not as easily.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Ikerrilove

Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Maybe you could get some springtails to add to it?

Hunter36o

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:56 am

I use Coco fiber and a potting soil mix from my local garden centre and I have them in a 50-50 ratio. I use it for my ants, stick insect, darkling beetles colony and my sling and I never have mold issues. I actually had a mold outbreak in my beetle enclosure bit it's was strictly on the oat meal that got pushed to the beetles apple. It did not spread all over the substrate. You could try that.

Oh it is an indoor potting mix if that helps.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.