ytong nest question

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Velocurs

ytong nest question

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am

hello ive made a couple small ytong nest but with cotton as a hydration medium because im to scared to use the sponges from the grocery store. do you guys know if the regular kitchen sponges you can buy genneraly are safe and dosent conatin any harmful chemicals? what kind of hydration mediums do you guys use in your diy nests?
greatful for response!
My adorable ants🐜
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
Messor barbarus 1x
Lasius niger 1x

Hunter36o

Re: ytong nest question

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 am

Actually, cotton is what I use :lol:
I am not sure about sponges, might be an idea to look I to how they are made and you might get a good idea of what is used in them. Then you can determine from there if they are safe.

I use sponges to clean my aquariums for years with no negative results so I do not see them being an issue personally.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Velocurs

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:01 am

how often do you need to hydrate it with cotton?( i still havent moved a colony in to one of my nests)
My adorable ants🐜
Messor barbarus 1x
Lasius niger 1x

VanPolska

Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Where did you find ytong? I'm in Vancouver, Canada and can't find it anywhere. Most people have never heard of it.