AntsCanada ant towers question.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

AntsCanada ant towers question.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 am

Hey all, I have ordered two ant towers. One deluxe.
I was wondering would the towers support mini succulent plants? I currently have some germinating and a load more seeds to plant and I was hoping if all goes well would the ant towers be okay for them?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Re: AntsCanada ant towers question.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:46 pm

And another possible stupid question. What is a good way to heat only part of the ant tower? I'm cautious looking at it because I'm worried giving its shape it may cause to much condition trying to use a heat mat or cable.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Dann28

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Try to put a heating pad or cable only touching one end of the tower
Im still a beginner :D .
-Camponatus Clarithorax /w 2 queens

Hunter36o

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:07 am

I will give that a go so. Just afraid it might build up to much condonation. But I will try it today after work for roughly an hour and see how it is looking from there.
Thank you for the reply.

nikkirichards03

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:31 am

As for the succulents, I feel like it might be too moist for them. I'm actually having a problem with mold growing in my ant tower. I filled the tray on the bottom and it made my substrate moist from the bottom upwards, but it just gets moldy.

I'm using coconut fiber substrate so that might be the problem. I have ghost ants and they didn't like the sand it came with as the grains were almost as big as they are. I feel like it may not be optimal for the tower, though.

antnest8

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:03 pm

When ever i use potting soil it molds quickly I would try normal dirt since most ants like that.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:46 am

I actually use a Coco fiber and potting soil mix with a tiny bit of the sand it comes with, I have had no issues with the mold. Except for that one time I did not noticed a honey drop got covered in mold but on a closer examination I spotting a little bit of superworm exoskeleton in it and that clearly caused the outbreak. It was only on the fake plant tho and not the substrate thankfully. A good wash and rinse and no problems since.
Do you use cotton in the hydration part? I do and I have had no mold outbreaks in the substrate but I will admit you have me paranoid now and it will be the second thing I'll check when I'm home. First I want to see if my sling is done with it's molting :D

Hunter36o

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 am

Yeah no mold out break on the cotton or the bottom of the substrate. Maybe the water sitting there is causing the molt to produce quicker??