Camponotus Formicarium Suggestions

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

fatkidinside7

Camponotus Formicarium Suggestions

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 am

Hello there fellow ant enthusiasts. Hehehe. I am planning to make a homemade formicarium and outworld for my Campanotus colony and I would just like to ask for some suggestions on which type of homemade formicarium is suited for this species of ants. (I know that they like semi-dry to dry homes and I watched from an AntsCanada vid that one of the formicariums that one made for their Camponotus ants were from corkboards, while some made them from plaster.) Thank you!!! :D

idahoantgirl

Re: Camponotus Formicarium Suggestions

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:59 am

really, It's up to you. some people think its cool to watch carpenter ants boar holes in the cork, while others just want to see the colony raise brood. I will warn you against plaster. It can mold fairly quickly. Of course that can be good because it forces you to make nest cycles. But camponautus can live in plastic too, so any of antscanadas formicarium s would be amazing too!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Martin

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:10 am

Hello, I have to say that I prefere cork - just because it's more natural :) It can mold very easily, but I think that the ants are able to solve it themselves, especially if the colony is bigger...

fatkidinside7

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:24 am

Thank you for your input! Hehehe. :D