Can you have too many springtails?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Mudcat

Can you have too many springtails?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Hello all, I’m from Sydney and a beginner. After many hours of watching AntsCanada, ants Australia and all the other ants YouTube channels I decided that this would be my new hobby.

A week ago I set up a vivarium in a old aquarium 46L tank. I believe the climate is perfect for springtails and there are I’d say millions of them. Can you have too many springtails? I’m also sceptical to if these micro bugs are even springtails, they jump around, climb the glass though are grey in colour and after watching videos the ones online look more white and slightly larger.

I also introduced a Pheidole queen with 20 workers and haven’t seen them since they left the test tube. I may of been hasty in my rebounding the ants but they all left the test tube overnight and so I removed it from the tank.

Is everything going to be okay or have I ruined the home already?

I’ve put some videos up. https://www.youtube.com/user/nottacatlady

antnest8

Re: Can you have too many springtails?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:31 pm

they sound like spring tails. My colonies had the same thing happen to them this summer where there were lots of spring tails and the colonies did fine, even thrived.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

PwnerPie

Re: Can you have too many springtails?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:48 pm

If there are "too many" the ants just have another source of protein. I wouldnt worry about it.
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.