Test tube cleaning

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

BuckeyeAntLover

Test tube cleaning

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 am

Hello everyone-

Does anyone have good tips on cleaning used test tubes? Also, is there an easier way to remove the cotton from the test tubes? Some of mine are pushed so far back into the tube that I can't remove them. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Jeff

JoeHostile1

Re: Test tube cleaning

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:17 am

Lol getting that cotton out when it gets pushed to the end is the worst. I use a metal meat thermometer to try and fish it out. Sometimes it’s so annoying it get out I just throw the test tube out.

That’s actually why I hate AC test tubes. For some reason they made the bottoms of the test tubes skinner than the ends. So first when you push the cotton in it gets jammed in way tighter than it needs to be when it hits the skinny part. Then trying to get the cotton out when it’s jammed in there in a tighter space than the opening is an absolute nightmare.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:01 am

Break up a tooth pick or stick of some sort. Jam it onto the cotton and twist until it gets a good grip then pull it out.
I think I overkill when I wash test tubes but what I do is rinse the dirt out. I then wash them with dish soap and hot water. Then I let it sit in Milton sterilising liquid then one last good rinse with hot water to be safe just before I use that test tube again.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Zayltek

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 am

Cheap wood BBQ skewers from any big box store/dollar store. Stick the pointy end into the cotton, and twist the cotton out like a wine cork.

antnest8

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am

if the test tube is plastic try hitting it on the counter several times face down so the cotton will slowly slide down. If the the cotton is dry make sure it is at least a little wet before doing this.(to give it more mass.)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

idahoantgirl

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm

use a bbq skewer but break it so the jagged end is going into the tube. twist to remove. works great. after that is removed, i soak it in soapy water then use a new cotton ball, push it to the bottom of the tube and then use the bbq skewer again to get it out. this cleans the tube.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile