Ant Barrier

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

americanants

Ant Barrier

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm

Does Fluon or a 1:1 mixture of baby powder and rubbing alcohol work better? I am a beginner ant keeper and am wanting to spend as little money as possible. Does a 1:1 ratio of baby powder/rubbing alcohol work just fine?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Ant Barrier

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:36 pm

americanants wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm
Does Fluon or a 1:1 mixture of baby powder and rubbing alcohol work better? I am a beginner ant keeper and am wanting to spend as little money as possible. Does a 1:1 ratio of baby powder/rubbing alcohol work just fine?
I keep Solenopsis (AKA Fire Ants) and those are not a species you want escaping. I use a baby powder and alcohol mixture that hasn't failed me yet. It's something that is much cheaper then Fluon and can be wiped off easily and also be reapplied over and over again. I use a 1:2 ratio (very watery, easier to apply).

If your really concerned with escapes you can do multi bands are the perimeter leaving a 1/2" - 1" spacing between them. Some go as far as using both Fluon and baby powder (one above the other) for extra protection. All of this really depends on the species your keeping. Remember larger species (like Camponotus) have a larger "Foot print" meaning they will need a wider band of the barrier then say Lasius niger (common black garden ant) which is much smaller.

Hope this helps.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

idahoantgirl

Re: Ant Barrier

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:32 am

I have found that my tetramorium can easily cross over baby powder plus rubbing alcohol. However, they cannot cross over dry baby powder applied thinly with a dry cotton ball.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile