Natural Nest Project

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SweetDirtyTooth

Natural Nest Project

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 am

Hello ACAF!

I have a Lasius Flavus Colony of 60+ Workers in a test tube.
I decided to make them a special Natural dirt habitat in a glass tank. :shock:

So far this are the plans on the set up. before I start to make it has anyone got other suggestions or better idea on the set up? 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Antscanada73

Re: Natural Nest Project

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:13 am

SweetDirtyTooth wrote:Hello ACAF!

I have a Lasius Flavus Colony of 60+ Workers in a test tube.
I decided to make them a special Natural dirt habitat in a glass tank. :shock:

So far this are the plans on the set up. before I start to make it has anyone got other suggestions or better idea on the set up? 8-)
Maybe put a tray\dish with cotton balls soaked in either sugar water or honey water for them to drink. P.S think carefully on where to place it and good design what did you use to plan it?

Antscanada73

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:31 am

Just thought sweetdirtytooth first find where the colony makes there graveyard and wall it in but make an entrance for them to go in and out. This will help you clean out the dead bodies when you clean the formicarium out.

SweetDirtyTooth

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02 pm

I just imagined it and painted it in Pain on my PC. Would dead body and rubbish not get cleaned like it will do in nature with soil?

Carl75

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Nice looking plan. You may not see the ants in the nest, unless you make it so they can't tunnel away from the edge.

You can put a smaller tank upside down inside the large tank so it leaves a narrow edge all the way round. Then till this with soil etc. Then the foraging area could be decorated as your diagram.

Antscanada73

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 pm

SweetDirtyTooth wrote:I just imagined it and painted it in Pain on my PC. Would dead body and rubbish not get cleaned like it will do in nature with soil?
Well thats what Mikey does with his ants he has to clean out dead bodies to stop infections but to be fair he doesn't use soil and stuff.

SweetDirtyTooth

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Update: I made a newer design. Hang on tigh for the pics and videos, I will get materials first.

I will add springtails too, that should keep the nest cleaner.
I dont mind not seing in nest activity, I got other colonies which I can see but this one I wanted something natural. When the colony grows they will be forced to dig closer to the glass. Mainly its gonna be my little home ecosystem with ants and other ant friendly bugs

Antscanada73

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:18 am

SweetDirtyTooth wrote:Update: I made a newer design. Hang on tigh for the pics and videos, I will get materials first.

I will add springtails too, that should keep the nest cleaner.
I dont mind not seing in nest activity, I got other colonies which I can see but this one I wanted something natural. When the colony grows they will be forced to dig closer to the glass. Mainly its gonna be my little home ecosystem with ants and other ant friendly bugs
Well good luck :D :D :D

SweetDirtyTooth

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks, I order most things online, Been working all week as soon as I get day off I will go get some more stuff and start the work