humidity for tropical species

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

pedrock88

humidity for tropical species

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:14 pm

hi i was planning on getting a tropical species and i know how im going to be controlling the temperature but no idea about humidity. any ideas?

Solenopsisace

Re: humidity for tropical species

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:28 pm

It all depends on where you are located is the place you are housing the ants in air-conditioned room does it have a dehumidifier or humidifier. A lot of variables can take play in finding out how and what way you are going to get humidity to what percentage. I'm from Florida I know a lot about humidity. I am a carpenter who works in it everyday 8-)

Solenopsisace

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:40 pm

But mostly it depends on how airtight ( aerated) your formicarium is going to be, with the type of water setup you are using(sponge,water chamber,wick,etc...). For example ....the more airtight(less air flow through formicarium), the amount of water you add to formicarium(has water almost all the time),and have the room your formicarium is in(above room temperature 75-85).u will have a 80-100% humidity level. Which is a little too high and you will see this when you see water droplets on the formicarium glass. I hope my example gives you an idea on how humidity Works in a formicarium.

idahoantgirl

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:44 am

when you say tropical species do you mean an ant species that doesn't live in your area??? If so, then that is a very bad Idea, and in many cases illegal.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

larynx

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:49 am

the ants you have, "should" be from your area. so this wouldnt be a problem.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer