outworlds build

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

outworlds build

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Got some time to build some outworlds for the new nests, and a feeding outworld for feeding foraging founding colonies, in tubes.

so i found these acrylic containers for the cheap the other day. now they will become some sweet outworlds.

first we clean them up real nice and dry gently.Image

then i add a little grout for the terra portion.

place entrance holes in container, and fresh air holes in lid.

screened the air holes, and placed grommets for entry holes.

added decoration before grout dried so they would stay put.

ol scratchy here will be the feeding out world

connected the other two of them to the new nests.

im planning on putting Camponotus P. in this nest so i put balsa wood blocking some entrances in the nest, so they will bore through it to expand the nest as they need like they do in nature.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Solenopsisace

Re: outworlds build

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:25 pm

That's not very Swanky of you :lol: . I'm sorry I had to at work cracks me up now :D

larynx

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:That's not very Swanky of you :lol: . I'm sorry I had to at work cracks me up now :D
oh no, i dont make "people swanky" stuff. i make "animal swanky" stuff. any animal ive kept over the past 20 years of animal work (ants, to fish, to lions), ive set them up in "naturalistic" setups, as to mimic what they encounter naturally. thats what i would want if i was in captivity anyway. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

i guess they could use a little more decoration though. ill see how much more stuff my OCD will let me add. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Solenopsisace

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:26 pm

I let my critters Live in Style. :D

larynx

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 pm

this is about as much deco. i can add without my head exploding.lol
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:I let my critters Live in Style. :D
dude, thats wild. my brain would literally explode trying to maintenance that. its like a night club for the ants. we need to plan a play date for our colonies. :P
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

JediPeaceFrog

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Nice work. Can you tell me where you purchased those containers, and what size holes did you make? 1/2? Thanks.

larynx

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 pm

JediPeaceFrog wrote:Nice work. Can you tell me where you purchased those containers, and what size holes did you make? 1/2? Thanks.
thanks .
i purchased these at a local consignment shop. i have found them on ebay as well. i think they are listed as acrylic display cases.
like these.>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Clear-Acrylic-Display-Cases-For-1-18-Scale-Cars-13-x-5-5-x-5-/201246381709?hash=item2edb38168d:g:NW4AAOSwofxUlaxQ
the holes are 1/2 up top,
and for the entrance, a 5/8 hole for a 1/2 grommet to fit the 1/2 tube. less silicone use that way. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Solenopsisace

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:46 am

larynx wrote:
Solenopsisace wrote:I let my critters Live in Style. :D
dude, thats wild. my brain would literally explode trying to maintenance that. its like a night club for the ants. we need to plan a play date for our colonies. :P
No it's not very hard to maintain. Cleaning it out is not very hard I use aluminum pan lids to feed and everytime I put it in there they made a trash pile on it. And everytime I go to empty the trash pile I always put a little piece of their trash on the new lid or the existing that I cleaned off. Ever since I did that they always take their trash to the same spot. I just finally started a YouTube video you'll be seeing all kinds of stuff I make. You should subscribe. And I say to everyone please leave a comment I don't care if it's criticism or praising.