DIY Formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

M4M1K3

DIY Formicarium

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Hello guys,

I'm looking for some advice on where I can buy plastic containers that would make good Formicariums? Ideally I would like one with the correct style of lid, allowing me to have an over hang as a barrier to stop the ants escaping (along with talc of course.) I would also like one big enough to incorporate their out world as well. I'm working on a budget so the cheaper the better but I must admit I'm struggling slightly...

I'm open to other suggestions also... Maybe I've missed a great value pre-made formicarium as unfortunately I feel the AC products can be quite pricey... :oops:

Thanks in advance.

Bierschneeman

Re: DIY Formicarium

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 am

pre mades. it depends on colony size. if you have small or tiny colony. check out the antkeepingdepot they have supplies from lots of smaller producers.

for my Brachymyrmex patagonicus i have an Empire of Ants nest A? its the smallest formicarium i have seen at 3"x2" or close too. i got it for $10. they have 5 queens 300 workers and large brood, and it still seems too big for them (slightly) but these guys are super tiny.

They just dont offer anything this small (suitable for such a tiny species and tiny colony) at AntsCanada so it fills a niche. If you are looking at getting something large you cant beat the quality for the price at AC ( i have read.)

while my colonies are small i will probably stick to what i am getting from the depot.when i get a larger species, or my colonies get bigger i will upgrade to AC products.

as for DIY, for outworld i use cheap food storage containers, for formicarium check various youtube videos there are several ways to get it done, AC has one, Antsaustralia takes a different approach. and there are more out there, to trapped sand, box of dirt (a la dspdrew on formiculture) brick and glass, and some weird ones.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

Bierschneeman

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:29 am

For my Pheidole soritis, i have them in an all in one, rocks, dirt, on slope in a party drink dispenser.

my plan is to get them into a formicarium, and build a nice outworld, OR i will build a vivarium and move them into that....not sure yet
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

Helianthus

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:34 pm

You can order good containers from the containerstore.com
Ikea godmorgan boxes could also work.
Another option is to go on Amazon or eBay looking for small fish tanks like they use for beta fish.

M4M1K3

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Helianthus wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:34 pm
You can order good containers from the containerstore.com
Ikea godmorgan boxes could also work.
Another option is to go on Amazon or eBay looking for small fish tanks like they use for beta fish.
Bierschneeman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 am
pre mades. it depends on colony size. if you have small or tiny colony. check out the antkeepingdepot they have supplies from lots of smaller producers.

for my Brachymyrmex patagonicus i have an Empire of Ants nest A? its the smallest formicarium i have seen at 3"x2" or close too. i got it for $10. they have 5 queens 300 workers and large brood, and it still seems too big for them (slightly) but these guys are super tiny.

They just dont offer anything this small (suitable for such a tiny species and tiny colony) at AntsCanada so it fills a niche. If you are looking at getting something large you cant beat the quality for the price at AC ( i have read.)

while my colonies are small i will probably stick to what i am getting from the depot.when i get a larger species, or my colonies get bigger i will upgrade to AC products.

as for DIY, for outworld i use cheap food storage containers, for formicarium check various youtube videos there are several ways to get it done, AC has one, Antsaustralia takes a different approach. and there are more out there, to trapped sand, box of dirt (a la dspdrew on formiculture) brick and glass, and some weird ones.
Thanks to you both! Ant Depot definetly seems reasonable and I like their small setups, there s seems to have been some real thought put in to the Empire setups.

Also as I have already looked into DIY formicariums the Godmorgan boxes look perfect if I take that route.

Very helpful, thanks again!!!