Changing from test tube to ytong nest

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Tiankaden

Changing from test tube to ytong nest

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:40 am

Hey so i recieved my Myrmecia Nigrocincta queen about 2 days ago and set up a small outworld with a sand base, twigs, leaves and a tiny log to try replicate where they live and then connected a tube out to a founding ytong nest where i was hoping she would start her colony, however i cannot seem to get her to have any interest in the ytong founding nest that is under the jumbo playing card. I have added water to the nest sponge, and she has happily eaten dead cockroach and drank the honey water, but she loves her test tube, please help? any suggestions will be great
Established Colonies:
- 1x Pheidole Sp.
- 2x Camponotus Sp.

Puncarlol

Re: Changing from test tube to ytong nest

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:17 pm

I don't know mate, but to me it looks so overcrowded that it discourages the poor little queen to even take a peek outside the test tube. I would use less materials and just let her go with the flow.

One question, is she all by herself of does she have some offspring?

Usually when they are lone queens they stay in the test tube until she has her first bagde of nurses and other workers too (around 30 or so). Earlier than that I could even be harmful.

Good luck!
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)