PTFE (Insect-a-Slip) tips plz...

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

PTFE (Insect-a-Slip) tips plz...

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:45 am

I recently bought and acquired some nondiluted PTFE from BioQuip.com and I must say for the price with it not being prediluted...you CAN'T beat it. Here's my deal though, before I use it, I'm curious to know what the best water to PTFE ratio is for maximum effectiveness. On one of Mikeys older videos where he reviews Bioquip and PTFE, he reccomends a 3:1 ratio...is that best or what? What are your suggestions? I prefer fluon to the baby powder/alcohol mixture as i can never seem to get the mixture right. Any tips are appreciated and thank you in advance.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Hunter36o

Re: PTFE (Insect-a-Slip) tips plz...

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 am

Did not know know you had to mix it. I would use like I do fluon, dab directly onto cotton and well you know what to do from there. If it's thick and that would explain why people add water, again just dab a smaller bit on the cotton and wee how much of the outworld is covered before you have to add more to the cotton.

Also does the direction of use on the bottle mention anything about having to mix it?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

xTNxANTMANx

Re: PTFE (Insect-a-Slip) tips plz...

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:06 am

No there is nothing about having to mix it but I have read many different places that it actually works better if you add some water to it. I've also read that it's ok to use it as is too. Now, I've used the "Fluon" that byFormica sells, that comes with the 3 applicator bottles and that is already diluted and works great. But getting the 4oz bottle from BioQuip beats it by far for the price and amount!!!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2