Starting a Garden in a Formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

nedenax

Re: Starting a Garden in a Formicarium

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 pm

Ants will also develop and shield other harmful garden pests. You will have to get rid of them, starting with winter time. I used a good rear tiller from this list of the best rear tillers https://www.growgardener.com/best-rear-tine-tiller-reviews/, and I managed to get them out of the garden, so they don't eat all the plants from there.

SYUTEO

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:34 pm

nedenax wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:07 am
Ants can cause a variety of difficulties in the garden, in addition to biting us. Ants adore the sweet sap of their hosts. A dedicated ant colony chewing on a plant's stem or trunk can girdle and even kill a garden plant.
Do you even know what he's talking about? He's making a garden IN an ant farm. And because he's doing that, sap sucking insects wouldn't be a problem because it means that he doesn't need to feed them as often, as long as the sap sucking insects don't overpopulate it should be fine. There's also a variety of species of ants that don't chew plants. Ants sometimes can do some good in a garden as well.

watermelon

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:22 am

Creating a formicarium with a garden sounds interesting. I agree with the person who wrote that you should plant the seedlings first and add the ants. You have to understand ants can find food in everything, and it pays to keep the plants safe from their clutches. It would also be good to add artificial grass there, similar to where I ordered services for my garden from https://www.artificialgrass-manchester.co.uk/. I think after that, the ants will be even more comfortable, and they will feel as if they are in their typical habitat.

AM1C39

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:46 am

nedenax wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:07 am
Ants can cause a variety of difficulties in the garden, in addition to biting us. Ants adore the sweet sap of their hosts. A dedicated ant colony chewing on a plant's stem or trunk can girdle and even kill a garden plant.
Absolutely incorrect.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]