Do Messor barbarus ants see red light?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ltsnazzy

Do Messor barbarus ants see red light?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Hello guys.

I have heard that some ants do and some don't see the color red.
Does anyone know if I can cover my Messor barbarus nest with a red foil so I can always see them without stressing them out?

Hunter36o

Re: Do Messor barbarus ants see red light?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:19 am

http://blog.wildaboutants.com/2010/04/01/ant-color-vision/

That link has an semi detailed answer on ants and red light. But the base of it all simple states that high light levels of red can be visible where as low density and a darker shade of red is less likely to bother your ants. Just have to test it out but yeah in short ants can see red light to a degree.

The main reason as to why people believe ants cannot see red is because honey bees cannot see red and they are closely related but this is not the case.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Red plastic film doesn't work for me with any species.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

ltsnazzy

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Ok, thanks for the help guys I will keep then covered in red light when observing and in the total dark when not.

JoeHostile1

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Insects detect light through ocellus eyes which are 3 special eyes on their head which detect light. The fact that they can’t see the colour red doesn’t change the fact that they detect light through their ocellus. I guarantee if you cover ants and then shine a bright red light on them they will react in panic due to the change in light levels dispute the fact they may not be able to tell the light shining on them is red. I honestly don’t believe that red film does anything but block out light while letting you somewhat see the ants through it.

Ants get adjusted at whatever light levels they are exposed to and then they react in panic when those light levels suddenly change. I’m pretty sure the only effect the red film has on ants is to dim the light. That film could be blue, yellow, orange it’s not going to make any difference as long as it equally blocks out light like the red film. But the result of removing the film will be the same, they will panic due to the drastic change in light.

If you want to be able to observe your ants naturally then don’t cover them at all. Then they won’t be panicking every time you remove the red film to view them.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA