moving my colony

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: moving my colony

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Typmachien wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:58 pm
So my colony has reached a size of about 10-15 workers and i orderd a small "arena" with an inside and outside area is it okay if i already move my ants into them because it's getting hard to feed them cuz everytime i try to feed them there will be at least one ant trying to escape. is it fine if i move them in already or do i wait untill they reach a bigger size of about 30 workers?
I've heard 20 workers is ok to move, but since they seem a little crowded in their test tube you can move them.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

idahoantgirl

Re: moving my colony

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:50 pm

It depends on the size of the nest you want to move them into, the type of nest, and the species. If I were you I would leave them in the tube. Use a one inch section of drinking straw wedged between the exit cotton and the side of the tube. This acts as a tunnel for them. Then place them in an outworld (a tupperware container with a barrier works fine) and ;et them forage for food. Feeding in the tube causes stress and mold outbreaks.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile