Pheidole Sp. Habitat

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Puncarlol

Re: Pheidole Sp. Habitat

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Man that terrarium looks so cool! Thats what I want to build when my colony has enough brood. I have just received my pheidole praeusta queen (specie from South America where I'm based atm) but so far she has just layed eggs.

Mind if I ask how many workers do you have?
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

JoeHostile1

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 am

That looks amazing. The hard part will be keeping the soul/sand moist enough so the ants can dig tunnels but not to wet so they flood.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:46 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 am
That looks amazing. The hard part will be keeping the soul/sand moist enough so the ants can dig tunnels but not to wet so they flood.
For this set up he can take a page out of AC's book of tricks and use a tube with holes, attached to a pump and timer to simulate rainfall, makes it more realistic and will help with moisture.
Officially caring for 4 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
11x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra
1x Myrmica ??