Question about barrier choices

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MorbidBugg

Question about barrier choices

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Now this may be an incredibly silly question... but has anyone tried ash as a barrier for ants, like seriously it's free it's traction ability is pretty much at like 0 it's JUST as messy as talc or corn starch... has anyone tried it... or is everyone like me wondering why no one has... atleast on a basic search nothing comes up about it..
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

FaranAli

Re: Question about barrier choices

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 am

no i didnt try it but i use vaseline as a barrier
Keeper of Pheidole Pallidula with about 15-20 workers and bunch of brood 8-) 8-) 8-) ...(2 Queen)

MaxGen

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 am

Wouldn't that be unsightly on your outworld though?

FYI, my personal experience has shown me that PTFE works great for smaller species, but my larger species seem to be able to walk right over it. For the larger species, I find talc better.

MorbidBugg

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 am

MaxGen wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 am
Wouldn't that be unsightly on your outworld though?

FYI, my personal experience has shown me that PTFE works great for smaller species, but my larger species seem to be able to walk right over it. For the larger species, I find talc better.
I would use talc but the close association to asbestos and 3 females who are more susceptible to the cancerous properties keeps me away from it (I use corn starch as a healthy alternative) PTFE would be great but on a budget of 0 to 20 dollars a month allowed for my ants (wife had very strict rules about this) doesn't allow me to buy frivolous things.

As for the unsightly I'd say no more than smearing anything Infact it would probably match the natural colors of an out world better than something white. Atleast that's my running theory
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

FaranAli

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:15 am

Vaseline barrier is not effective sometimes because of the fact that the abts some times walk on it
Keeper of Pheidole Pallidula with about 15-20 workers and bunch of brood 8-) 8-) 8-) ...(2 Queen)