First time ant Keeper, I landed on something cheap, and effective

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Bierschneeman

First time ant Keeper, I landed on something cheap, and effective

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm

so In a rush today and went with the only thing I had found that could do the trick, and its actually better than I thought. AND I think I got something that works better than I could imagine, for really cheap.

I was collecting specimens of colonies for Identification practice (and to form a Ecological survey of the property I live)
I when I went back to get another specimen of what might be Pheidole, I saw my landlord was getting ready to excavate the colony to get at the pipes underneath. So I quickly dug up the nest, (managed to get the whole thing, queen, brood, alates, possibly more queens and majors.) BUT, I had only one tub ready for a colony because I had just started. I had already filled the tub with a Brachymyrmex colony that was living in my outdoor plant pots.

What I ended up using is a drink party pitcher (with spout) (imagine a backyard picnic with lemonade or Iced tea on the edge of the table.)

but heres where it gets cool, theres a hose sized hole in the side, where the spout is supposed to sit. (spout is in fact in now) so, when I want to upgrade this setup, I simple let their nest dry out, and hook a formicarium into the spouthole. Once they move out of the pitcher, I then disconnect it, take the dirt out, and turn it into a very cheap, effective outworld.

Positive:for $5, $10, or $30 for fancy ones (which is cheaper by far from most purchasable outworlds), the opening is large enough for an arm, the hole for the tube is near the right side, its clear. TALL enough for some cool decor.

Negatives:, only two holes, one for a hose, one for your arm, no extra pathways, no easy to set up air flow. Definitely no where near as adaptable as the AC outworld (and some, of the other brands purchasable outworlds.)
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: First time ant Keeper, I landed on something cheap, and effective

Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:29 am

Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.