Pharaoh Ant Queen captured

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Manakahi

Pharaoh Ant Queen captured

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:59 am

I recently got lucky in spotting a queen and brood out relocating after we fixed our irrigation. I captured her and 7 brood they all appear to be workers 1 pupe stage. Had them in two separate containers that i placed inside a lunch box, with two holes drilled into it. Also have a winged ant that is worker sized so Male? I am also not sure if this queen is mated she still has one wing.

I am completely new to ant keeping, is starting with Pharaoh ants too much for a beginner?

Manakahi

Re: Pharaoh Ant Queen captured

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:02 pm

After some work I turned a Small lunchbox into a formicarium. Glued an semi-transparent bottle down in one side to create, a [( Shaped tunnel, its about 3 times the queen size down to slightly smaller than the queen, the entrance to the tub was widened to allow the queen to fit, 1.3 times her size, should I make this bigger?

For water I have a tube made out of silicone tubing and paper towel. The box has Two 1/4 entrances drilled into the top, I am working on an outworld to be placed above it, but right now I have a 3 ft length of tubing going to a empty rubbermaid container.

For air I have one end of tubing covered with netting placed in one entrance. The rubbermaid container has 2 1/4 holes in it that are covered with the netting. Do i need to add more air holes, would a fan blowing past the top vent create enough air flow to pull in fresh air?

Current thoughts, after placing them into the chamber they moved the queen and brood to conor with the plastic tube, not one ant has attempted to use either tube exit. I had placed a small dab of honey in one corner before placing them in.

https://imgur.com/a/r5hSiUd

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I don't know what your location is, but these are definitely not pharaoh ants (Monomorium). Looks more like Anoplolepis gracilipes, but ID's require a location and measurement.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Manakahi

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Location is Oahu, Hi.

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Ah! Definitely A. gracilipes.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Manakahi

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Thank you, added two more photos. wish i had something better than a smartphone.

Ltislander

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:44 am

If a queen has wings it didn’t necessary mean that she is not fertile. The same goes for ants who shedded her wings.