Ant barrier for Lasius sp.?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

WyrdAnt

Ant barrier for Lasius sp.?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:26 pm

What kind of barriers have you used for Lasius and how have they worked?

idahoantgirl

Re: Ant barrier for Lasius sp.?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Plain baby powder should do well. My lasius colonies were pretty tiny so the barrier wasn't tested very well but I know they can cross babypowder + alcohol. my tetramorium can't cross plain baby powder, but they could cross babypowder +alcohol.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Fayestone

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:59 am

Hiya, I’m wondering the same. I’ve heard Vaseline isn’t so great and I’m struggling to buy either rubbing alcohol / surgical spirits and fluon in the UK.

Any help or suggestions would be great 🙂

idahoantgirl

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Fluon is supposed to be the best barrier out there. After that I would say plain baby powder applied with a dry cotton ball, no alcohol.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Hunter36o

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:34 am

Sorry Idaho, but could you have messed up the mixture? (Not trying to point names and name fingers :p) I only ask because I have never heard of the powder plus alcohol to fail. Well excluding the relentless force of topical fire ants trying to break through.

If you are 100% that the mixture was not the issue I would love to hear your theory on why the ants can get past what I have read as the best home made barrier. I have Lasius Niger queen's and I would hate for a colony to excape because I was unaware they could crawl over the barrier.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsOfOntario

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:17 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:34 am
Sorry Idaho, but could you have messed up the mixture? (Not trying to point names and name fingers :p) I only ask because I have never heard of the powder plus alcohol to fail. Well excluding the relentless force of topical fire ants trying to break through.

If you are 100% that the mixture was not the issue I would love to hear your theory on why the ants can get past what I have read as the best home made barrier. I have Lasius Niger queen's and I would hate for a colony to excape because I was unaware they could crawl over the barrier.
Alcohol and baby powder has worked for me.

Fayestone

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:24 am

Thank-you, I hadn’t realised hat you could use the plain baby powder. I’ve managed to get my hands on some fluon after all, arriving in a couple of days.

AntAnett

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:16 pm

Hello!

Tomorow I will be putting my tiny colony of Lasius Niger to the arena, and I have plastic bucket that works for arena. I used fluon on the walls, but I did it first time in my life and I cpuld (or not) do it wrong, the barrier can be to thick or to small. But anyway, answer for my question is very important to me, cause this might cost my ants their lives:

Can I use fluon with closed arena? I think I have fairy ventylation in there, but it's not an open box, so I'm worried, will they by OK?

And btw, I've heard that from time to time I should clean the old fluon and put a fresh barier, so how to get rid of fluon from plastick walls?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmiM_PNwB9wuId1eRfE0WDA/videos