What kind of lights to use

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

NocturnusWolfe

What kind of lights to use

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 am

What kind of Lights should I use to give my outworld light, and also what is recommended for providing heat?

MorbidBugg

Re: What kind of lights to use

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:58 am

Any live plants in the outworlds?

Yes? Plants require a good amount of light depending on species most succulents only require roughly room lighting so a little desk lamp will provide enough light and if it's an older style bulb it will create tell enough heat in the outworlds, if you have other plants that require more light than just room lighting I'd suggest the reptile t5s as they produce color spectrums that help plants grow and produce quite abundant heat (I'd make sure to buy a temp gauge though)

No?
Basic lighting if it's just to see tour ants in a fake out world a good ol CFL will be perfect. I'd suggest a soft white AND warm white to get the best lighting to see all your ants colors. A heating pad is only necessary if you have plants. Or its specifically for your nest.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

jeraman

Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 pm

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but maybe you can help me. I provided the ants with light and heat for the succulents a long ago. Apparently, they are happy with the conditions and don't complain :) But now I have another problem. My son bought smart bulbs that change color https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs/. Our apartment has turned into a disco hall. Naturally, this affects my ants too. I'm new to information about how receptive they are to light. But is there any chance they will feel worst about the lighting conflict?

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 09, 2022 9:48 pm

jeraman wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 pm
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but maybe you can help me. I provided the ants with light and heat for the succulents a long ago. Apparently, they are happy with the conditions and don't complain :) But now I have another problem. My son bought smart bulbs that change color https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs/. Our apartment has turned into a disco hall. Naturally, this affects my ants too. I'm new to information about how receptive they are to light. But is there any chance they will feel worst about the lighting conflict?
Probably wouldn’t affect foraging. If the nest was exposed….

I haven’t read the article, but I have heard of it-
https://www.skss.edu.hk/skss/images/web-main/02_Academic/03_Student_Showcase/02_Science/5_The_effect_of_colour_of_light_and_light_intensity_on_ant_finding_food_S5_ENGLISH_ONLY.pdf
When you accidentally reply to yourself…