watering ants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

Re: watering ants

Sun May 29, 2016 11:32 pm

(a cc is a milliliter of water.)
sounds like alot of water going in. if you are putting that much and its "disappearing" into the nest, i would think its getting moist. some photos and a size on the test tube would tell me a little better. are there ants in it yet? also how are you getting the water into the nest now?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Sun May 29, 2016 11:37 pm

larynx wrote:(a cc is a milliliter of water.)
sounds like alot of water going in. if you are putting that much and its "disappearing" into the nest, i would think its getting moist. some photos and a size on the test tube would tell me a little better. are there ants in it yet? also how are you getting the water into the nest now?
the nest is emty rite now thats why im testing with it now but the link to the nest http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/perry ... q.jpg.html
and you can see the tubeish looking are on the right that makes up about 1.5 test tubes that entire nest is 12 inches wide and 10 inches high I don't know if I already said it its made out of plaster o parris
Thanks -Perry

larynx

Sun May 29, 2016 11:45 pm

how are they going to get in and out?
i also use a channel like that in one of my nests. i filled it with cotton to hold moisture longer, and made really shallow channels for moisture to travel into the nest area. except mine has access to the channel via syringe through a hole on the top side.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Sun May 29, 2016 11:55 pm

also, how are you currently getting water under the glass?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Mon May 30, 2016 12:00 am

larynx wrote:also, how are you currently getting water under the glass?
that is an early picture and I did not have the holes drilled at the moment I now have a way of putting water in and letting the ants in and out.
Thanks -Perry

larynx

Mon May 30, 2016 12:03 am

perryismyname wrote:
that is an early picture and I did not have the holes drilled at the moment I now have a way of putting water in and letting the ants in and out.
ahh, ok. but yeah, carve some micro channels between a couple of the chambers and the water channel. thats what i did. also if you want to check for moisture you cant see on the inside, just put a heat cable against the side that is watered and see if the water condenses on the glass.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Mon May 30, 2016 12:19 am

larynx wrote:
perryismyname wrote:
ahh, ok. but yeah, carve some micro channels between a couple of the chambers and the water channel. thats what i did. also if you want to check for moisture you cant see on the inside, just put a heat cable against the side that is watered and see if the water condenses on the glass.
Okay thank you very much, I will try this and get back to you soon when I do
Thanks -Perry

perryismyname

Mon May 30, 2016 1:47 am

larynx wrote:
perryismyname wrote:
Okay i put in the scratches and it is dispensing the water nicely now to the one area but i noticed something that could be a problem. The water that is going to the area is working perfectly but the water seems to only touch the one small chamber. Will the water spread throughout the formicarium naturally or do I need to find a way to get water to the other areas also? I added a photo of the updated formicarium. The highlighted part is the area in which is getting water. here is the img link http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w47 ... j5wonr.jpg
Thanks -Perry

larynx

Mon May 30, 2016 2:10 am

that should be just fine. that area is just where it is the wettest, its moist arount it a good bit as well, i bet.
you want the nest to have some moist and some dry spots. that way the ants can decide where is best for what in the nest. just like you do the heat, a warmer area and a cooler area. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Mon May 30, 2016 2:39 am

larynx wrote:that should be just fine. that area is just where it is the wettest, its moist arount it a good bit as well, i bet.
you want the nest to have some moist and some dry spots. that way the ants can decide where is best for what in the nest. just like you do the heat, a warmer area and a cooler area. :D
Okay after letting that set for the past hour to two I came back to it and all of the water was dry as far as I know, do I have to worry about it if it dries up that quickly? Because I don't want to have to water them every hour or so.
Thanks -Perry