watering ants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

watering ants

Sun May 29, 2016 10:31 pm

I have a few questions about watering ants. I am having trouble with watering via capillary action because I can not get the water to flow into the nest where I wanted it to, what can I do to make the capillary action work better? Also are there any other ways I can water my ants efficiently? One way I was going to do it is by drilling tiny holes and using a syringe to drip water into the nest. I have some questions if I do it this way one question is how often would I have to do that? Does anyone have a way to improve this? Any knowledge or past experiences wouls help me out a ton,
Thanks -Perry

Solenopsisace

Re: watering ants

Sun May 29, 2016 10:55 pm

What kind of Nest do you have, hydrostone, fire brick, grout ,acrylic,ect.... it all depends. Like my formicarium is a sanded grout formicarium because I didn't have non sanded grout with me. So it repels water or just beads up when I put water on it I should say. So in my bottom part next to 2 chambers I have a sponge next to them. Plus I don't have to water it that much because my shop is not air-conditioned and I live in Florida where it is always hot and humid :D

larynx

Sun May 29, 2016 11:06 pm

perryismyname wrote:I have a few questions about watering ants. I am having trouble with watering via capillary action because I can not get the water to flow into the nest where I wanted it to, what can I do to make the capillary action work better? Also are there any other ways I can water my ants efficiently? One way I was going to do it is by drilling tiny holes and using a syringe to drip water into the nest. I have some questions if I do it this way one question is how often would I have to do that? Does anyone have a way to improve this? Any knowledge or past experiences wouls help me out a ton,
i set all my nests at an angle to make capillary action easier.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Sun May 29, 2016 11:11 pm

like so.....Image
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Sun May 29, 2016 11:14 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:What kind of Nest do you have, hydrostone, fire brick, grout ,acrylic,ect.... it all depends. Like my formicarium is a sanded grout formicarium because I didn't have non sanded grout with me. So it repels water or just beads up when I put water on it I should say. So in my bottom part next to 2 chambers I have a sponge next to them. Plus I don't have to water it that much because my shop is not air-conditioned and I live in Florida where it is always hot and humid :D
Sorry I forgot to post the picture it is a plaster of Paris nest that I made
I hope this link works http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/perry ... q.jpg.html
Thanks -Perry

perryismyname

Sun May 29, 2016 11:15 pm

larynx wrote:like so.....Image
I tried putting my nests at about a 70 degree angle and still it had trouble flowing about a half of an inch
Thanks -Perry

larynx

Sun May 29, 2016 11:18 pm

do some of the chambers get moist? how big is the nest over all? an inch or so may be all you need.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Sun May 29, 2016 11:23 pm

larynx wrote:do some of the chambers get moist? how big is the nest over all? an inch or so may be all you need.
the nest in total is about 10 inches long and 8 inches I can not tell if the chamber is getting moist, if it is it is not noticible
Thanks -Perry

larynx

Sun May 29, 2016 11:26 pm

how many cc of water are you putting in to see that inch of wet?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

perryismyname

Sun May 29, 2016 11:28 pm

larynx wrote:how many cc of water are you putting in to see that inch of wet?
I do not know what measure a cc is but a standard test tube that is 4 inches long I put about 4 of those in in order to get that.
Thanks -Perry