Page 1 of 1

Myrmica rubra habitat

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 am
by LowlandAnts
Hi there. I was considering acquiring a Myrmica colony with about 50-ish workers supporting 2 queens. For this I am considering acquiring a terrarium. My question would be if anyone knows whether Myrmica ants can climb over talcum barriers when these are applied over the silicone keeping the glass together? Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Re: Myrmica rubra habitat

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:34 am
by NKantsalberta
LowlandAnts wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 am
Hi there. I was considering acquiring a Myrmica colony with about 50-ish workers supporting 2 queens. For this I am considering acquiring a terrarium. My question would be if anyone knows whether Myrmica ants can climb over talcum barriers when these are applied over the silicone keeping the glass together? Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Hey there! I have just moved my myrmica sp. Colony into an outworld and so far fluon has kept them at bay... Not sure about anything else though

Re: Myrmica rubra habitat

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:58 pm
by LowlandAnts
NKantsalberta wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:34 am
LowlandAnts wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 am
Hi there. I was considering acquiring a Myrmica colony with about 50-ish workers supporting 2 queens. For this I am considering acquiring a terrarium. My question would be if anyone knows whether Myrmica ants can climb over talcum barriers when these are applied over the silicone keeping the glass together? Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Hey there! I have just moved my myrmica sp. Colony into an outworld and so far fluon has kept them at bay... Not sure about anything else though
That is great to know! And the fluon is applied over the silicone glue?

Re: Myrmica rubra habitat

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:24 pm
by NKantsalberta
LowlandAnts wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:58 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:34 am
LowlandAnts wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 am
Hi there. I was considering acquiring a Myrmica colony with about 50-ish workers supporting 2 queens. For this I am considering acquiring a terrarium. My question would be if anyone knows whether Myrmica ants can climb over talcum barriers when these are applied over the silicone keeping the glass together? Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Hey there! I have just moved my myrmica sp. Colony into an outworld and so far fluon has kept them at bay... Not sure about anything else though
That is great to know! And the fluon is applied over the silicone glue?
Yea a couple coats should do it. Its kept my ants off a rough corner even.

Re: Myrmica rubra habitat

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:45 pm
by LowlandAnts
NKantsalberta wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:24 pm
LowlandAnts wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:58 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:34 am

Hey there! I have just moved my myrmica sp. Colony into an outworld and so far fluon has kept them at bay... Not sure about anything else though
That is great to know! And the fluon is applied over the silicone glue?
Yea a couple coats should do it. Its kept my ants off a rough corner even.
Thank you! This is great information.