Ant barrier or Screen cover?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

DeeJayX

Ant barrier or Screen cover?

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:44 pm

I have been doing some reading on the deferent ant barriers. The one thing the keeps going through my mind is "Why not a screen cover." Can ants chew throw them? Are the holes to big? I have been looking, you can get steel screens that are 50 microns and smaller. I'm sure a lot of ants could not get throw that. And I don’t think they can chew throw steel. If they can please let me know. I was thinking about getting 2 pieces of acrylic and cutting it to fit the top of an outworld or terrarium. Then cutting a large hole in the middle. Put the screen in between the 2 pieces of acrylic and then gluing or bolting the 2 pieces together. That should work for a screen top that the ants can’t get through and you can still remove for feeding and cleaning. If there is a flaw in my logic, please tell me. I would love to hear everyone’s ideals on the subject.

cheetawolf

Re: Ant barrier or Screen cover?

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:06 pm

because then you cant see the ants
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada

DeeJayX

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:36 pm

cheetawolf wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:06 pm
because then you cant see the ants
you steel have the sides. And the top would be removable.

Hunter36o

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 am

I do not see an issue with it. My only fear would be how close the ants are to it when it comes to feeding or cleaning. See the barrier is to stop them getting to the top, where your screen will just stop them getting out while covered.

I suppose you need to find out how well they will climb the sides of the out would or terrarium and if you are going to have to fight/ push the ants down every time you take the cover off. If it proves to be a hassle and your ants try to escape all the time during cleaning just go back to a barrier.

I find keep any pet can be easy is you follow the basics. But going above and beyond for any pet is a constant game of trial and error. Once you are okay with that I say go for it and go creative. Just nothing that is a direct risk.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

DeeJayX

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:20 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 am
I do not see an issue with it. My only fear would be how close the ants are to it when it comes to feeding or cleaning. See the barrier is to stop them getting to the top, where your screen will just stop them getting out while covered.

I suppose you need to find out how well they will climb the sides of the out would or terrarium and if you are going to have to fight/ push the ants down every time you take the cover off. If it proves to be a hassle and your ants try to escape all the time during cleaning just go back to a barrier.

I find keep any pet can be easy is you follow the basics. But going above and beyond for any pet is a constant game of trial and error. Once you are okay with that I say go for it and go creative. Just nothing that is a direct risk.
Thank you for your response. That's the feedback I was looking for. After reading it i could imagine a bunch of ants holding on to the screen when I go to feed them. I'll keep thinking on it and post if I come up with anything.

Hunter36o

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:18 am

No problem at all. Yes please do. All ideas are good to share as you may just come up with something no one else thought of yet :)
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

idahoantgirl

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:02 pm

At the beginning, a lid may not be a problem, but when they get larger they will recognize the cover as the way out and start grouping on the lid. Not fun
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile