Help! L. Niger queen trying to pull cotton from a dirty set up to a clean one?!?!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Help! L. Niger queen trying to pull cotton from a dirty set up to a clean one?!?!

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Like it says guys, she is pulling at the cotton that has mold on it and it looks like she is trying to drag it into the clean test tube. Why on earth is she doing this? She needs to move her eggs not the cotton. I have no idea what to do, I cannot just let her bring mold into the new test tube.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Re: Help! L. Niger queen trying to pull cotton from a dirty set up to a clean one?!?!

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:22 am

I swear I want to curse the ground at this lassy. I had to stop and seal up the test tube because it just got too late to stay up.

So when I check to make sure she is okay today. The c you next Tuesday has pulled the bits of cotton she was trying to pull into the fresh tube last night over the the new clean cotton blocking the tube. It's like she is trying to stress me out because I do not know what she is playing at!

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.