The amazing story of a Formica colony

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

The amazing story of a Formica colony

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 pm

I collected some workers from a Formica colony and put them with my Formica social parasite queen. I accidentally killed her while moving nests, and also killed the colony's own queen when I was collecting the workers. I felt so bad for the workers, who were now orphaned. I then took a queen a friend gave me and put 5 workers with her. They avoided each other and fought when they came in contact. Then I removed the workers and tried again with a Formica queen of a different species I caught a couple weeks ago. They started grooming her instantly. I then moved them from a test tube into an AC Formica Hybrid Nest 2.0 They had about 25 workers) and then introduced some workers of a different colony and the same species. I have mixed Formica workers of the same species before with no problems, but this time I believe the new workers killed the old workers and took the queen as their own. The new workers were all old workers, so I broke into a colony and stole pupae and larvae and brood boosted them. I didn't realize that the brood was of a different species. But workers started to emerge today and they are accepted into the colony, so I am not worried. The queen also is starting to lay eggs. Can you help me ID these ants when I get pics posted?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Re: The amazing story of a Formica colony

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm

The funny thing is that the queen still tends to brood while there are 30 or so workers around to do it for her. :lol:
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25