Female Alate with injured wing??

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Female Alate with injured wing??

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:09 am

So I have what I believe is an infertile lasius queen but the poor girl has an injured wing.

Now i noticed all this when I have to do simple semi harmless experiments (there was only one way it could go bad and I was set to counter that one.. it did not happen tho :) )

So I have a high idea of where exactly this girl is from. By that I know the nest but if one wing is half missing how on earth will she fly?

If I were able to find a male niger drone from a separate nest far from the females nest of origin, is it possible to kinda encourage them to mate? Or will they fight on sight since they did not fly to one and other?

Or is more science needed here because I would rather less risks?

Damaged wing = no flying = no mating??
There has to be a loop hole guys!!
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Re: Female Alate with injured wing??

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:09 am
So I have what I believe is an infertile lasius queen but the poor girl has an injured wing.

Now i noticed all this when I have to do simple semi harmless experiments (there was only one way it could go bad and I was set to counter that one.. it did not happen tho :) )

So I have a high idea of where exactly this girl is from. By that I know the nest but if one wing is half missing how on earth will she fly?

If I were able to find a male niger drone from a separate nest far from the females nest of origin, is it possible to kinda encourage them to mate? Or will they fight on sight since they did not fly to one and other?

Or is more science needed here because I would rather less risks?

Damaged wing = no flying = no mating??
There has to be a loop hole guys!!
She could have damaged her wing after she mated and before she broke it off. So I wouldn't be worried.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25