Are black carpenter ant nuptial flights over?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AlphaAnt

Are black carpenter ant nuptial flights over?

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:33 pm

I have recently decided to dive into the world of ant keeping. I have done plenty of research, and although I have yet to acquire any equipment, that is a minor inconvenience.

I am searching for native black carpenter ants, and I've always found their nuptial flights to happen during the early to mid summer, although the timing varied. Now, I haven't been outside in over three weeks (don't ask), so if they did occur, I would have missed them. I live in Pemberton in British Columbia, Canada (about a three hour drive north of Vancouver), and in a few days, June will be over. Does anyone think it is too late for me to be searching for newly mated queen ants? Should I wait for next year?

MaxGen

Re: Are black carpenter ant nuptial flights over?

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm not familiar with your area, but it Toronto they are long over... over by a month to the week actually. You are a bit north, so it's possible flights are later than here, but I would still think you have missed them.

Just guessing though, hopefully someone closer to you will respond.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:35 pm

In Maine, Camponotus will continue to fly until July, although the biggest flights are early in the summer. You can even find some in August/September, on occasion.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:23 pm

(until July is over)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsDakota

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:03 pm

AlphaAnt wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:33 pm
I have recently decided to dive into the world of ant keeping. I have done plenty of research, and although I have yet to acquire any equipment, that is a minor inconvenience.

I am searching for native black carpenter ants, and I've always found their nuptial flights to happen during the early to mid summer, although the timing varied. Now, I haven't been outside in over three weeks (don't ask), so if they did occur, I would have missed them. I live in Pemberton in British Columbia, Canada (about a three hour drive north of Vancouver), and in a few days, June will be over. Does anyone think it is too late for me to be searching for newly mated queen ants? Should I wait for next year?
I caught one a week and 1 day ago, so it depends.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25