AntsDakota's Brachymyrmex queen

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: AntsDakota's Lasius flavus queens

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 pm

First nanitic! :D I fed them some honey and a fruit fly. Although, it seems that the worker just sits around while the queens do all the work. :lol: There are 9 more on the way, along with countless eggs and larvae.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Re: AntsDakota's Lasius flavus colony

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:24 pm

I checked them early to put some root aphids in their test tube (I'll be putting fresh roots in weekly) and found a second worker! :) The first worker is very active, while the new worker is still mostly still, yet could still run around if needed, like the first worker used to be.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antnest8

Re: AntsDakota's Brachymyrmex queen

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:39 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
I checked them early to put some root aphids in their test tube (I'll be putting fresh roots in weekly) and found a second worker! :) The first worker is very active, while the new worker is still mostly still, yet could still run around if needed, like the first worker used to be.
wow great idea hope to see what happens
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:26 pm

antnest8 wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:
I planted a little bush in an old cake container and punched a hole in the side. I then took the main root and stuck it through the hole and into the test tube.

AntsDakota

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm

They had 3 workers last time I checked. They also had 10 or so pupae and a pile of medium larvae, and a clump of eggs and small larvae.

AntsDakota

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:38 pm

When I tried to remove the old root and brush the aphids off so they would go to the new root, 2 workers rushed out and ran around the root protectively. They finally retreated and I did what I first intended to do.

AntsDakota

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm

antnest8 wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:
Do I have to feed the ants now that they have their own aphid farm? I heard that Lasius flavus rarely come to the surface to forage and live off the aphid's honeydew.

ClashOwenBash

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:18 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm
antnest8 wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:
Do I have to feed the ants now that they have their own aphid farm? I heard that Lasius flavus rarely come to the surface to forage and live off the aphid's honeydew.
Still supply the colony with protien just try placing it nearer the nest entrance for formicariams. They still do take classic foraging foods (so long as the item isn't too big).
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

AntsDakota

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:22 pm

The queens killed each other. :cry: :( :o :x I will try to find them another queen during nuptial flight in a month or so. (and this time I will only give them one!) :lol:

ClashOwenBash

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:27 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:22 pm
The queens killed each other. :cry: :( :o :x I will try to find them another queen during nuptial flight in a month or so. (and this time I will only give them one!) :lol:
Are all the queens dead?! This is why I never risk it.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!