Best Camera? Any Ideas?!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Best Camera? Any Ideas?!

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:37 am

Hey guys. I am trying photograph my ant colonies and wild ants (I just found a leaf cutter ant colony in my backyard that I want to photograph!) but I can't seem to find a camera that can focus enough to get a clear picture of my ants. Do you guys have any ideas of what I should use. I need help and I would love to hear your guys opinions on the matter. Also, my birthday is coming up soon and price is not such a big problem with me. Thanks :D

Mauritaniants

Re: Best Camera? Any Ideas?!

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:47 am

It depends on your budget.
You can typically get a fairly decent quality photos by just adding a Macro Lens on your smart phone like these and they come by cheap:

New2Ants

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Yup. I bought a macro lense, but the photos seemed to come out not as clear and instead of magnifying, it kinda decreased everything. It did however make it easier for the phone to focus on close up photos. :)

GriffinAnt

Mon May 23, 2016 9:19 am

i to am having problems taking ant pics. have tryed taking pics of my harvester ants and the big clump of eggs that i just found i have but taking pics with my mobile is rubbish also even with my olympus sp 620uz which has macro and super macro modes. have tryed most modes and even the auto setting but still no joy. anyone out there able to help at all.

AntsRule

Mon May 23, 2016 9:23 am

Check out the Clestron digital microscopes I have one that plugs into my computer and it takes pretty good pics. They also make cordless ones. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.