General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

NashAUS

Re: Termite Keeping

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 am

Tylosaurus wrote:
Benny1 wrote:You can buy a termite ant farm at this website:
http://termitat.com
Wow that's so cool! I've been looking for something like that thanks bro! 8-) ;)

After a quick google search it doesnt seem anyone in Oz is currently offering anything similar :(

Tylosaurus

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 pm

NashAUS wrote:
Tylosaurus wrote:
Benny1 wrote:You can buy a termite ant farm at this website:
http://termitat.com
Wow that's so cool! I've been looking for something like that thanks bro! 8-) ;)

After a quick google search it doesnt seem anyone in Oz is currently offering anything similar :(
Lol no it doesn't seem like that. Somebody. Should make them for termites though;but not sure what different it would need?

AntsDakota

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Marcowilson wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 am
Hello

How might I differentiate between swarming termites and swarming ants?
Termites are long and skinny and look a little grotesque if you ask me. Queen ants just simply look like large ants. Termite elates are a light tan, and they pair up for life as king and queen after mating. Ant males just die after mating.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:10 am

I have not fully read throughall of this topic if I am honest but to be safe I though I'd comment now. From what I have read you going to find a queen. Good luck with this :) but also you will need a king if I am not mistaken unlike ants the male and female will mate for life and will be the heart and soul of the colony unlike with ants it is only the queen that is needed and the males die. Now this I only know of because of an AC YouTube video and I have not actually researched this as of yet myself so it could vary from species again I do not fully know so I'd look I to it encase u catch a queen who never found a "soul mate"
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:14 pm

I would assume that unlike ants, termites need to keep mating constantly to lay eggs. That is why the king is needed. But I'm not completely sure on that, it's just a guess.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

marcomon

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:37 pm

can termites clime glass or plastic.
or do I need a barrier?

Jkovac

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:36 pm

New2Ants wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:14 pm
Hey man, it is actually super easy to keep termites. You don't even need a queen to start a colony. Just collect some workers (as much as you can), put them in a container with dirt (put dirt in first and then termites so you don't squish them), drop in a piece of wood (this will last a long time), and wait 6 months for one or some of the termites to turn into a queen and/or a king. This will start up your colony, make sure to keep them moist, and mabey you can move them into a formicarium and an out world to observe them better. I'm starting out myself and one of my workers is in the making of a queen! So exciting, good luck!!! :D hope this helps!
And how long does it take for a little colony of termites to consume for example a stick?
I'm asking because I will be away from my home for a month