Termite Keeping

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Tylosaurus

Termite Keeping

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 am

I can't seem to find much about it but probably for obvious reasons. But I think that keeping termites would be a more advanced colony(difficulty wise) but on the bright side it could never be wiped out if everything worked out. It would suck buying wood and stuff. I also know they produce soldiers from the start to protect itself in the early stages. If anyone knows anything about keeping termites I'm all ears!;D

Camponotus

Re: Termite Keeping

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

Well, if you can find a queen I would put her in the same test tube setup and use the same omni nests AntsCanada has. I have heard of people doing this. just know they get bigger than even Camponotus colonies!! I would feed them wood you find on the ground as buying wood would not get you feeding material. Make sure the wood is partially rotting. I think the hardest part of this is finding the queen.

Tylosaurus

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Camponotus wrote:Well, if you can find a queen I would put her in the same test tube setup and use the same omni nests AntsCanada has. I have heard of people doing this. just know they get bigger than even Camponotus colonies!! I would feed them wood you find on the ground as buying wood would not get you feeding material. Make sure the wood is partially rotting. I think the hardest part of this is finding the queen.
Yeah it probably would be very hard to find a termite queen, even termites are kinda hard to find in most places. I know that they get absolutely massive and the Queen at her biggest might not even fit in a normal omni-nest chamber! If I did find a large amount of queens should I see if I can sell them somewhere;if so where? And btw there are termite kings that live in the colony with the queen! I THINK they also constantly mate with the queen but I'm not sure about that one. :lol:

New2Ants

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Hey man, it is actually super easy to keep termites. You don't even need a queen to start a colony. Just collect some workers (as much as you can), put them in a container with dirt (put dirt in first and then termites so you don't squish them), drop in a piece of wood (this will last a long time), and wait 6 months for one or some of the termites to turn into a queen and/or a king. This will start up your colony, make sure to keep them moist, and mabey you can move them into a formicarium and an out world to observe them better. I'm starting out myself and one of my workers is in the making of a queen! So exciting, good luck!!! :D hope this helps!

Tylosaurus

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:19 pm

New2Ants wrote:Hey man, it is actually super easy to keep termites. You don't even need a queen to start a colony. Just collect some workers (as much as you can), put them in a container with dirt (put dirt in first and then termites so you don't squish them), drop in a piece of wood (this will last a long time), and wait 6 months for one or some of the termites to turn into a queen and/or a king. This will start up your colony, make sure to keep them moist, and mabey you can move them into a formicarium and an out world to observe them better. I'm starting out myself and one of my workers is in the making of a queen! So exciting, good luck!!! :D hope this helps!
So when I get them first must I use an aquarium or something and enough dirt for them to burrow in? Then after that when moving in a formicarium must there be dirt in there also? Just asking cuz I know termites need a lot of moisture compared to most ants;I know there are desert termites

New2Ants

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:33 pm

First identify what species you are keeping or are planning to keep. I keep Formosan Subterranian termites, the most common species here in Georgia. You can just fill a critter keeper half way with dirt and spray it mabey once a day. I like using clay and dirt mixture. It is easier for them to dig through and it absorbs the moisture needed to keep them alive. Without dirt, they could die fairly quickly. You also don't have to worry about them escaping because they are terrible climbers. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask. I would love to respond to them. Thanks. ;)

Tylosaurus

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:35 pm

New2Ants wrote:First identify what species you are keeping or are planning to keep. I keep Formosan Subterranian termites, the most common species here in Georgia. You can just fill a critter keeper half way with dirt and spray it mabey once a day. I like using clay and dirt mixture. It is easier for them to dig through and it absorbs the moisture needed to keep them alive. Without dirt, they could die fairly quickly. You also don't have to worry about them escaping because they are terrible climbers. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask. I would love to respond to them. Thanks. ;)
So with the hybrid nests I would need a layer of dirt?

New2Ants

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 pm

No, you could put some substrate inside of it, but I think it is enough to put a high moisture substrate in the compartment below it (like cotton, pearlite, ect.).

Tylosaurus

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:19 pm

New2Ants wrote:No, you could put some substrate inside of it, but I think it is enough to put a high moisture substrate in the compartment below it (like cotton, pearlite, ect.).
Thanks for all the help man! 8-) will most likely need more help lol!

New2Ants

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Your welcome. Good luck with your termite colony!!!