Mealworm Problem

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

Re: Mealworm Problem

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Domrom17 wrote:Ever since my queen had her first workers, I've been feeding them sugary foods and a steady diet of mealworms. Yesterday, when I went to open my mealworm jar, I discovered that some of the mealworms made it to the adult form. I don't know what to do with them. Should I kill them and feed my small colony? Should I let them die naturally? Any suggestions would be really helpful, as I'm kinda stuck.
this is a good thing, if you make a setup for these beetles, they will perpetuate. it is very easy, and will provide you with meal worms until you decide you don't want them anymore. i have a meal worm colony that's been going for 4 years now. i never have to buy feeder worms. if you want to know how i set mine up, let me know.. :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Yea what he said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

New2Ants

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Dude! I would love to know how you set up your mealworm colony!!! :D

Mauritaniants

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:50 pm

larynx wrote:
Domrom17 wrote:Ever since my queen had her first workers, I've been feeding them sugary foods and a steady diet of mealworms. Yesterday, when I went to open my mealworm jar, I discovered that some of the mealworms made it to the adult form. I don't know what to do with them. Should I kill them and feed my small colony? Should I let them die naturally? Any suggestions would be really helpful, as I'm kinda stuck.
this is a good thing, if you make a setup for these beetles, they will perpetuate. it is very easy, and will provide you with meal worms until you decide you don't want them anymore. i have a meal worm colony that's been going for 4 years now. i never have to buy feeder worms. if you want to know how i set mine up, let me know.. :mrgreen:
Interesting.
can you make a thread about this? I would like to see your set up for these.

I usually just catch small dragonflies by my pool area since there are plenty of them here.

larynx

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:14 pm

ill tell you what. i will make a tutorial on making a mealworm farm setup, real soon. keep an eye out. :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:36 pm

i could do one on crickets as well, if you guys want. i have worked for a reptile shop for years,then worked at a couple of zoos for many more. so i am pretty well versed in farming feeder crickets and worms. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Carl75

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:12 am

Feeder insect culture tutorials would be good. I have seen some and am trying to keep fruit flies for my new colonies to eat until they can have larger insects. I'm not sure it is working though.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:37 am

Once there are some videos or sheets on the raising of feeder insects let me know and I can open a new forum for that. Trying to keep the ACAF lean and mean so until there is some content I won't open something. BTW sounds good on some tutorials. And I'm Also into herpes so I've raised crickets also.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:55 pm

in the mean time... take the beetles you have now, any larva you find (they look like little aliens, not worm or beetle), and a couple of meal worms. put those in a plastic, shoe box size container. in this container, cover the bottom with dry oats, a little wheat flour, and a dry bedding material, such as "corn cob litter". the worms, beetles, and larva will eat and reproduce in this medium. keep them in a warm place and wait. mist the box every few days, just a little. in a few weeks you will have hundreds of baby worms. this cycle will keep going as long as you replenish the food, clean the habitat when dirty, and thin the herd. aka feed worms and beetles off every once and a while. :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer