Spot the mistakes!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

CreeperUniverse

Re: Spot the mistakes!

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Wow. The amount of retardedness in that article makes me so sad... :(
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

CreeperUniverse

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Serafine wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 pm
Wow, this is actually a UK news page. It reads like an american one...

Well, not entirely. An american page would have probably titled something like "YOU DON'T WANNA HAVE THESE KILLERS IN YOUR BACKYARD!" or "PREPARE FOR DOOMSDAY - FLYING FIRE ANTS GONNA KILL US ALL!".
No. I don't know where you're getting that from, but I've never seen it.
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

Pineapple

Tue May 02, 2017 7:03 am

Are they saying that ALL workers sprout wings or just SOME. Both are completely incorrect.

Theantguy13

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:52 am

Honestly I think it would be a more difficult challenge to find some information in that article that actually IS correct.

ANTphibian

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:55 am

CreeperUniverse wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:17 pm
Wow. The amount of retardedness in that article makes me so sad... :(
That's what I was thinking.
'Flying Ants Day Is Coming!'

HypernovaRain

Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:14 am

It looks like no one has actually tried to list all of the inaccuracies they could find yet so I'm gonna give it a shot!

1. I have never heard any ant keepers refer to nuptial flights as "flying ant season."
2. It is not something the general public should "brace themselves" for.
3. Unless there is already several huge colonies in you garden ( which would have to be really big). You would not see thousands swarming there.
4. Nuptial flights can happen in early spring and late fall, depending on the species. The bulk do fly in summer, but it's not that sudden.
5. Alates don't sprout wings, they have them their entire lives (until mated). And they are only considered queens when they have a colony.
6. The same can be said for the males, they always have their wing.
7. It does not cover 4 to 5 days, see example 4.
8. Temperature doesn't really matter, they run on a biological clock and pheromones.
9. They never use the word "alate" they just call them queens, see example 5.
10. "FLYING MALE WORKER ANTS" THIS IS JUST SO WRONG! MALES DON'T ACT AS WORKER ANTS, THEIR ENTIRE PURPOSE IS TO F*** AND DIE! ( sorry, I got a little too into that one. )
11. "According to the Royal Society of Biology, the large numbers of flying ants which appear in a short space of time increase the chance of reproduction, because there is a very high chance a queen will encounter a male from another nest." YA DON'T SAY!?!?!?
12. I have never heard about this acrobatic mating ritual. This just seems unnecessary and would reduce the chances of anyone's genes being passed on. Also alates try to mate with as many partners as possible to maximise the gene pool.
13. She doesn't always loose her wings immediately. They also forget to mention that she bites them off herself.
14. They don't fly when it's dry! They fly after it rains so they can dig into the moist soil and not die of dehydration! ( speaking of which I should get some water. )
15. "Not as predictable"? They say that as if they could predict it in the first place.

Ok, that's all for now. It's late and I should really go to bed. But let me know if I missed anything. Good night.
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)

Theantguy13

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 pm

HypernovaRain wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:14 am
It looks like no one has actually tried to list all of the inaccuracies they could find yet so I'm gonna give it a shot!

1. I have never heard any ant keepers refer to nuptial flights as "flying ant season."
2. It is not something the general public should "brace themselves" for.
3. Unless there is already several huge colonies in you garden ( which would have to be really big). You would not see thousands swarming there.
4. Nuptial flights can happen in early spring and late fall, depending on the species. The bulk do fly in summer, but it's not that sudden.
5. Alates don't sprout wings, they have them their entire lives (until mated). And they are only considered queens when they have a colony.
6. The same can be said for the males, they always have their wing.
7. It does not cover 4 to 5 days, see example 4.
8. Temperature doesn't really matter, they run on a biological clock and pheromones.
9. They never use the word "alate" they just call them queens, see example 5.
10. "FLYING MALE WORKER ANTS" THIS IS JUST SO WRONG! MALES DON'T ACT AS WORKER ANTS, THEIR ENTIRE PURPOSE IS TO F*** AND DIE! ( sorry, I got a little too into that one. )
11. "According to the Royal Society of Biology, the large numbers of flying ants which appear in a short space of time increase the chance of reproduction, because there is a very high chance a queen will encounter a male from another nest." YA DON'T SAY!?!?!?
12. I have never heard about this acrobatic mating ritual. This just seems unnecessary and would reduce the chances of anyone's genes being passed on. Also alates try to mate with as many partners as possible to maximise the gene pool.
13. She doesn't always loose her wings immediately. They also forget to mention that she bites them off herself.
14. They don't fly when it's dry! They fly after it rains so they can dig into the moist soil and not die of dehydration! ( speaking of which I should get some water. )
15. "Not as predictable"? They say that as if they could predict it in the first place.

Ok, that's all for now. It's late and I should really go to bed. But let me know if I missed anything. Good night.
I have a challenge for you, now try to find some things in the article that are true and based on fact, bet $1,000,000
you can't do it! XD (not really betting money on it)

Martialis

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm offering 1,000,000 Zimbabwe Dollars.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Jadeninja9

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Martialis wrote:
Professor Adam Hart is really from the University of Gloucestershire like the article says.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

HypernovaRain

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 am

Martialis wrote:
Ants exist.
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)