Ant Interview Research

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntFarm123

Ant Interview Research

Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:06 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am doing a research project about ant keeping, and I need to get an interview from a antkeeper. I would be very thankful if you answered. I am looking for people who have kept ants before/ are keeping ants. Answer as many questions as you like. The more responses, the better.

What are some ants that are easy to care for beginners, and why?

What are some must-know tips when taking care of ants?

Can wild queen ants become pets?

If I want to buy ants to create a colony, what ants species and how many ants should I buy?

What has inspired you to keep ants as pets?

Where is a suitable location to place an ant farm?

Thank you for your answer! 😀

AM1C39

Re: Ant Interview Research

Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:29 pm

A1: Carpenter ants are fairly easy to keep for the simple reason that they grow slowly. They can tunnel into a large amount of substances, so you will need to consider that fact.

A2: A great tip that even some expirienced keepers forget (or ignore) is that you should never move your ants into a setup that is too big for them. They will start making garbage piles arround in it and cause mold to grow. Or you might losse track of them.

A3: When you think about it, all queen ant "pets" where once wild. Whether you caught her or bought her, she was at one point living outside in the wilderness.

A4: I would suggest simply trying to find/catch a queen ant yourself. It is much more profitable, it feels more personnal and better. For what species; try whatever you catch (unless they are fire ants or something of the like).

A5: I can't really tell you... I guess I just found ants and the idea of ant keeping cool and interesting.

A6: I would say anywhere that is quiet. Perhaps a shelf in your room. You must not stress your colonies too much.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

antperson24

Re: Ant Interview Research

Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:21 pm

AntFarm123 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:06 pm
Hello Everyone!

I am doing a research project about ant keeping, and I need to get an interview from a antkeeper. I would be very thankful if you answered. I am looking for people who have kept ants before/ are keeping ants. Answer as many questions as you like. The more responses, the better.

What are some ants that are easy to care for beginners, and why?

What are some must-know tips when taking care of ants?

Can wild queen ants become pets?

If I want to buy ants to create a colony, what ants species and how many ants should I buy?

What has inspired you to keep ants as pets?

Where is a suitable location to place an ant farm?

Thank you for your answer! 😀
For you first question, I would say Camponotus or Lasius.
Second question, Keep them in a dark place free of vibrations. Also, be sure they always have a supply of fresh water.
Third, yes, queens ants can be found during nuptial flights.
Fourth, if you are going to buy a colony, you should buy a colony with a few workers and a queens from a GAN farmer: https://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/ Honestly, I think catching your own queen is more rewarding though.
Fifth, I don't really know why, I have always been interested in insects, and when I got my hand on my first queen (Lasius neoniger) back in 2020, I decided to start.
Sixth, in a place with little vibrations, and preferably dark. Normally a desk works well, just cover the nest with a thick piece of paper.
I hope this helps you. ;)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN