Help with Springtail Control

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

RocketUK

Help with Springtail Control

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:49 pm

Hello! New to the Forum and cant figure out to post on the main boards as they are all locked for me except this "Everything Else" section.

Hoping someone can help with some suggestions in controlling my Springtail numbers. I have a converted fish tank as a Formicarium which is home to my colony of Myrmica Ruginodis who are thriving. The set up consists of a thin gravel layer at the bottom and a fairly deep layer of a mix of coco fibre and compost type soil at varying depths and a nix mix of plants, driftwood etc up top for decoration. The tank has a lid with lights etc and air holes and I keep the top inch or so painted with PTFE/Fluon to keep the critters contained.

I read that adding invertebrates was a good idea and that most keepers add Springtails and woodlice mix to help start and maintain an eco system. My issue is that the 50 or so Springtail population I added about 6 weeks ago has literally boomed - there are literally thousands upon thousands teeming in the soil and climbing all up the glass. The PTFE is managing to keep them from escaping for now but it looks like its snowing in there with the number of Springtails falling down the glass when they reach the PTFE layer. There is also a boom in fungus - there are a few mushrooms now growing too! I'm in the UK and we have had a really humid heatwave and its been impossible to keep the HL in the tank below 80%.

Anyone have any ideas on how to 1) get the springtail numbers down but not harm the ant colony and 2) keep the numbers down. I have read all sorts of options from Apple Cider Vinegar to Cinnamon - this may deal with the Springtails above ground but what do I do to the ones below ground? I really don't want to harm the colony - at very worst maybe I will have to bag the substrate take them all to the nearby woods and let them go and start again with the setup (they are all native so no harm done). i am really regretting putting the springtails in and should have just stuck to woodlice!

Any ideas would be very welcomed - thanks for reading!

Antloverhuman

Re: Help with Springtail Control

Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:43 pm

As far as I know, springtails dont hurt the ants, and as you said there is a fungus boom, it might be better to keep the sprintails so they can eat the fungus. But if you really want, you can just remove most organic things like fungus or other rotten stuff which sprintails eat, which would lower their population. Also you can manually remove them by placing a decaying fruit piece, and when there are alot of springtails on it, remove the fruit with the springtails
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony