Tetramorium immigrans

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Antlover41157

Tetramorium immigrans

Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:41 pm

I live in Washington in the U.S. I have lots of Tetramorium immigrans in my garden and it's there nubtial flight season right now. However antwiki deems then exotic so I'm conflicted on eeping them. I dont want too keep invasive species as I will likely release them at some point. Is keeping and/or releasing them ok in your book? why or why not?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Tetramorium immigrans

Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:53 pm

Antlover41157 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:41 pm
I live in Washington in the U.S. I have lots of Tetramorium immigrans in my garden and it's there nubtial flight season right now. However antwiki deems then exotic so I'm conflicted on eeping them. I dont want too keep invasive species as I will likely release them at some point. Is keeping and/or releasing them ok in your book? why or why not?
Depends. If their is natives where you release them, absolutely not. If there is only invasives(You have checked surrounding trees, etc) then it would only harm native ants and might even set them back a bit. This also could lead to one colony moving into kill another native colony, however.

If you want to keep them and end up wanting to rid yourself of them, you could freeze them, or give them/sell them for a fair price on the GAN project.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Nico12

Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:25 am

I thought tetremorium immagrans weren't bad for the environment, or at least that's what Mikey Bustos said in one of his videos. Can't you release them? I would love to keep tetramorium ants, and there's even a tetramorium colony in my yard, but I think I missed the nuptuial flight season by a little bit. I have two queens, one is really small and dark orange, and the other is larger and dark reddish, I will make a post asking what species they are once I take a pic of them. BTW how the heck am I supposed to measure an ant!? There's a colony of tiny orange ants in my garden and I found the brood. So yeah. Not sure whether they're invasive or native, but they're not doing anything to anyone.
8-) Ants Are Cool 8-)

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:29 am

Nico12 wrote:
I thought tetremorium immagrans weren't bad for the environment, or at least that's what Mikey Bustos said in one of his videos. Can't you release them? I would love to keep tetramorium ants, and there's even a tetramorium colony in my yard, but I think I missed the nuptuial flight season by a little bit. I have two queens, one is really small and dark orange, and the other is larger and dark reddish, I will make a post asking what species they are once I take a pic of them. BTW how the heck am I supposed to measure an ant!? There's a colony of tiny orange ants in my garden and I found the brood. So yeah. Not sure whether they're invasive or native, but they're not doing anything to anyone.
Put the ant next to coin if you cant measure it.

I don’t trust AC, one he said that they weren’t bad for the environment. There is no such thing as an ant that isnt native and isnt bad for the environment. A colony needs food, space, territory, and usually takes out native alates. I have seen tetromorium attacking native ants, therefore, they are not good for the environment.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Nico12

Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:53 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:29 am
Nico12 wrote:
Put the ant next to coin if you cant measure it.

I don’t trust AC, one he said that they weren’t bad for the environment. There is no such thing as an ant that isnt native and isnt bad for the environment. A colony needs food, space, territory, and usually takes out native alates. I have seen tetromorium attacking native ants, therefore, they are not good for the environment.
Good to know. Thanks for helping me understand how to measure her, I had no clue.
8-) Ants Are Cool 8-)