Species Identification Requested!!!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

CamponotusGuy

Species Identification Requested!!!

Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:28 pm

Hi, I caught a queen ant from my backyard but I don't recognize the species. It was found in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada at 12. The queen was black and about 8 mm long. I suspect that it is a Silky Field Ant (Formica subsericea) but I don't know if I am right or not. Sorry but I currently cannot provide a picture of it because I am scared that I might stress it out. Please do comment on this thread if you think you have an answer to my question, thank you!

AM1C39

Re: Species Identification Requested!!!

Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:51 am

It would be hard to identifie your queen without a photo. Taking a photo or two would scare your queen but she would be fine. You can then upload the image to imugr and copy paste the link here.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Species Identification Requested!!!

Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:33 am

CamponotusGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:28 pm
Hi, I caught a queen ant from my backyard but I don't recognize the species. It was found in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada at 12. The queen was black and about 8 mm long. I suspect that it is a Silky Field Ant (Formica subsericea) but I don't know if I am right or not. Sorry but I currently cannot provide a picture of it because I am scared that I might stress it out. Please do comment on this thread if you think you have an answer to my question, thank you!
Formica subsericea queens are usually about 10mm or 12mm, and yes, I do have a colony so this is not based on other people.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…