Safe way to remove large ant nest

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

jiffygriffy90

Safe way to remove large ant nest

Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:13 pm

So this ant colony has been her for over five years. I hate to kill the colony. So how do I remove them and how do I know I removed them all?

Antloverhuman

Re: Safe way to remove large ant nest

Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:46 am

If they are native to your place, then simply go to a place where there is a lot of vegetation and just put the ant farm there. They will slowly move out of the nest and into the wild.
If they are invasive to your place then you can sell them to someone who is willing to keep a large and invasive ant colony
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SYUTEO

Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:35 am

I don't think you are allowed to sell invasive ant species.

Antloverhuman

Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:58 am

Oh o didn't know that. But can you not give it to a friend or something. Because AntsCanada also said that the Phoenix empire will be kept by his neighbor who lives in his flat.
Ants I have-

SYUTEO

Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:24 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:58 am
Oh o didn't know that. But can you not give it to a friend or something. Because AntsCanada also said that the Phoenix empire will be kept by his neighbor who lives in his flat.
I think you can give it away to a friend but you're not allowed to sell them unless you live in Europe where it is allowed. If you can't find anyone who would want to keep them then you have to kill them.

Antloverhuman

Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:40 am

Oh thats the thing. But if a colony is polygenous, can you merge the colony or would that still be bad. Because it is increasing the colony but it would have almost the same effect when you unintentionally feed them
Ants I have-

SYUTEO

Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:29 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Oh thats the thing. But if a colony is polygenous, can you merge the colony or would that still be bad. Because it is increasing the colony but it would have almost the same effect when you unintentionally feed them
Merging colonies can be risky as they can fight even if they are polygynous.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:29 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
What I would do is find someone who wants them. It is illegal to sell them so… but I see tons of s invicta for sale on AC.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:02 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
What I would do is find someone who wants them. It is illegal to sell them so… but I see tons of s invicta for sale on AC.
I guess it is ok if you a permit, if you live in a place where they are native or sell native ones instead. Those people who sell them on the GAN project are probably people who think it's ok to sell invasive species when there are people who have the USDA knock on their door. My guess is that the sellers are uneducated or they didn't read/ignored the rules. Native fire ants in the US include: S. xyloni, S. geminata, S. amblychila and more. And even if you reported the people who sell S. invicta in the US the AC team would probably do nothing about it and because of it, many people nowadays think that the GAN project promotes selling invasive ants.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:58 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:02 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

I guess it is ok if you a permit, if you live in a place where they are native or sell native ones instead. Those people who sell them on the GAN project are probably people who think it's ok to sell invasive species when there are people who have the USDA knock on their door. My guess is that the sellers are uneducated or they didn't read/ignored the rules. Native fire ants in the US include: S. xyloni, S. geminata, S. amblychila and more. And even if you reported the people who sell S. invicta in the US the AC team would probably do nothing about it and because of it, many people nowadays think that the GAN project promotes selling invasive ants.
Except to get a permit it is extremely hard for invasive ants. Most ant sellers can’t ship to Florida due to the permit process. I can barely get Camponotus discolor from out of state sellers.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…