Safe way to remove large ant nest

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Safe way to remove large ant nest

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:01 am

First questions to be answered is: What antspecies is it? Native or Invasive?
Once that is answered we should continue with preparation talk and discussion.
The best option would be to give it to someone who wants to keep ants. Maybe a local school or museum.
Another option that involves killing them would be to stop feeding them, which would let the colony starve to death over time or you can put them into the freezer and kill them that way.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

jiffygriffy90

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:52 pm

Sorry been away for a while but I not sure how to identify them but they seem to be just black ants and if anyone would like to collect them and they are of Tennessee it’s just their nest is located under concrete that has sand under it they are outside and due to weather it has been very warm here and like I said I have grown to like them I just don’t want them in my house. If anyone is looking to take them pm me till then I will keep trying to get them to move on but I am hoping to start my own colony but I am not sure these wild ants will take to captivity

jiffygriffy90

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:04 pm

Let me add that they live in a concert box with sand in it that is on story deep in the ground and I have try to kill them for 5 years they are just too stubborn for that

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:08 am

jiffygriffy90 wrote:
Let me add that they live in a concert box with sand in it that is on story deep in the ground and I have try to kill them for 5 years they are just too stubborn for that
I guess you can throw them in the fire but that's very cruel. also i think your ants are tetramorium or formica? so, i will assume they are monogynous so if you can, just make a photo on imgur then you can try any method if you wish to eradicate their queen by researching.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:12 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
jiffygriffy90 wrote:
I guess you can throw them in the fire but that's very cruel. also i think your ants are tetramorium or formica? so, i will assume they are monogynous so if you can, just make a photo on imgur then you can try any method if you wish to eradicate their queen by researching.
I could never kill a queen… even if she was infertile. I would just merge her with a supercolony we’re the workers would decide her fate.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:42 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:12 am
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
jiffygriffy90 wrote:
I could never kill a queen… even if she was infertile. I would just merge her with a supercolony we’re the workers would decide her fate.
same with me... i only cull the workers by like scooping off a bit if they get too large and are invasive. otherwise you ruin a founder's destiny
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)