Dream Ant Colony

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAntsAnts

Re: Dream Ant Colony

Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:38 am
In my opinion, leafcutter ants, bull ants, Weaver ants and trap jaw ants are the coolest. However only two of them are found in India and all are very hard to keep so i cant have them yet :<
yes, they are the most exotic and unique.
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:12 am
Antloverhuman wrote:
In my opinion, leafcutter ants, bull ants, Weaver ants and trap jaw ants are the coolest. However only two of them are found in India and all are very hard to keep so i cant have them yet :<
Ye Flordia don’t have “TRUE” leaf cutter ants, only trachymyrmex and they still cut leaves but make smaller gardens then atta
it's better than nothing. here the closest thing is certain termite species and those aren't even related to ants!
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:06 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
Ye Flordia don’t have “TRUE” leaf cutter ants, only trachymyrmex and they still cut leaves but make smaller gardens then atta
it's better than nothing. here the closest thing is certain termite species and those aren't even related to ants!
Yea that is true. The problem is though the reason they are rare is Becuase they are VERY sensitive to pesticide, and non-sprayed leaves are hard to come across in a well populated state
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antloverhuman

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:58 am

I have never seen weaver ants myself but all my relatives say that they have seen one. Some even say they have seen leafcutter ants which is impossible as there are no leafcutter in india!!
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsAntsAnts

Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:26 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
I have never seen weaver ants myself but all my relatives say that they have seen one. Some even say they have seen leafcutter ants which is impossible as there are no leafcutter in india!!
They must be tricking you...
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Yea that is true. The problem is though the reason they are rare is Becuase they are VERY sensitive to pesticide, and non-sprayed leaves are hard to come across in a well populated state
Why not grow your own plants from a seed? I do it with my blueberry bush even though I never bother to pick the fruit
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:41 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

Why not grow your own plants from a seed? I do it with my blueberry bush even though I never bother to pick the fruit
They eat a lot of plants when mature.

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

the fungus, not the ants. if ants found a way to eat leaves my life would be so much easier
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:17 pm

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

the fungus, not the ants. if ants found a way to eat leaves my life would be so much easier
True. Life would be even easier if the queen could be easier to found colonies with. I have never found any despite seeing colonies all around, but hopefully I will find some this season.(note I heard this from people who raised this spieces before as you don’t only rely on fertility, but the fungus pod needs to be present.

SYUTEO

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:51 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
They probably misID'd them from weaver ants.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:56 pm

I'd want to keep the Blue Spiny Ant
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

Nico12

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:25 am

My dream ant colony is trap jaw ants. Do you know where they live?
8-) Ants Are Cool 8-)