Help! I have some questions about termites and ants.

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

DeepArch

Help! I have some questions about termites and ants.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:01 am

Hello guys, I'm a new user here... :D ;)

Here you go, some of the questions because most of them are already answered on Google.. Thanks Google! And Thanks in advance to those who responded here.

1. Is there any possibility that the queen ant didn't receive enough sp3rm? Will the queen breed a new king/alate/male for her to mate later?

The reason for this question was that I thought: why are the wings of black queen ant still there? Why has she not ripped it off yet? Is she not mated yet? If she has, then why does she still keep it? So I thought she still kept her wings for her to search for a lot of males to mate with, so she would get enough sp3rm.

2. Can I put these multiple queen and king/termite alates in the same place, and will they fight? Or will they wage a war later and kill the queen/king? Or will they still coexist after growing a large number of colonies? like some species of ants.

The reason is that I don't have enough space for these termites... so I want to ask you guys if they will coexist so I can put multiple of them, like about 6-12 of them in the same place, and I will put 4-8 separate places for each 6-12 termites. I currently only have 8 petri dishes that are free to use right now.. and for some of them, I'm going to give them to my chicken.

A kapok tree, Ceiba pentandra, the reason the cotton looks kind of yellowish-white and there's some black/grey spots on it; it's because I forgot to clean my hands when I was hand-picking it from the dried fruit/kapok before sun-drying it. I'd already cleaned it with hot water, of course. Sorry... I say this because it looks disgusting, and you guys would got the wrong idea about it :?.

AM1C39

Re: Help! I have some questions about termites and ants.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:10 am

Not sure about the termites but for the other questions, we can't know for sure if the queen is fertelised because some times they keep their wings even after mating and if you try to mate her with another male it will most likely not work,
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

DeepArch

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:29 am

AM1C39 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:10 am
Not sure about the termites but for the other questions, we can't know for sure if the queen is fertelised because some times they keep their wings even after mating and if you try to mate her with another male it will most likely not work,
I see, it really is hard to know for sure.. and maybe you need a special tool like a microscope to look at it.

What about identifying it with how big the abdomen is and why there's some white stuff in the abdomen? Is that the Sp3rm? or stored food?

DeepArch

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:35 am

Also, can anyone tell me what kind of queen ant and termite these are? Thanks and Sorry that I forgot to include the question. :?:

AM1C39

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:45 am

The withe part of the abdemem is just what happens whene it expans it could be expanding because there are eggs developing there, and the queen is from the genus camponotus.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Antloverhuman

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:59 am

It isnt very easy to identify termite bit as far as i have seen termites dont have have multiple queen and king. Separate colony can live close tp each other and will tolerate but wont make a super colony. Termites are very hard to get a colony established with queens and kings because at this stage there is a high possibility that most of them may die. And yes the queen is from camponotus genus
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

DeepArch

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:06 pm

Thanks @AM1C39 and @Antloverhuman for the answers. Carpenter ants huh.. there are many trees surrounding my house, so maybe that's why. For the termites, can you please elaborate on why most of them will die? Is it because of a lack of moisture? or another reason. I can't search for it on Google because it didn't show anything related with thing that I typed.

SYUTEO

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:37 pm

How big are the termites? Size is a very important factor to identifiying various insects.

Antloverhuman

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:59 pm

There are no exact reason for why most termite alates die. Even micky from AntsCanada wanted to start his own colony of termites but most of them died. There is very few info about them but all the things i am saying is from my experience. Though it may depend on species to have a high rate of successfully founding a colony i would suggest keep atleast five pairs of them. Get a small Tupperware container and poke some holes using needles and then fill it with decaying wood and then keep one pair of them in it. For exact species you might need to wait for their workers and majors to arrive. Because you have caught this many, there is a very large colony of them where you caught them so try taking some photos of them and mention size to easily identify them
Ants I have-

Antloverhuman

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:01 pm

Stress is the main reason. If you keep them like this for long they will all die most likely. And yes moisture could be the reason.
Ants I have-