Why Camponotus is a complex genus

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Why Camponotus is a complex genus

Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:12 am

The ant genus Camponotus is widely comprised of Carpenter ants which are ants that nest in wood, however, there's a lot more to that genus than you think.

Nesting:
Most Camponotus species that you probably know nest in wood, but there are a few species that don't. For example Camponotus parius, they nest in soil rather than in wood. Some other species are arboreal and even weave leaves together like weaver ants.

Interesting species:
One species of Camponotus, C. inflatus, have large repletes that resemble honeypot ants (Myrmecocystus). Camponotus mirabilis and longipilis have queens that are thin and long and they only nest in bamboo. Camponotus bedoti has phragmotic (flat headed) majors and queens but they are not placed in Colobopsis because they have coccooned pupae while Colobopsis has ***** pupae. Camponotus werthi is the only ant found in the Antarctic region in the Kerguelen Islands (originaly native to South Africa). Camponotus crispulus has green hairs on their gasters.

There are a lot more complex things about Camponotus that I didn't write about but I still hope that you can understand the complexity in the semingly simple genus.

I did a lot of research on this.

SYUTEO

Re: Why Camponotus is a complex genus

Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:25 am

I had to correct it since a word is banned. Camponotus bedoti has phragmotic majors but they are not placed in the genus Colobopsis because they have coccooned pupae while Colobopsis has pupae without coccoons.