My Myrmica Rubra (European Fire Ants!) have eggs!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

timeshell

My Myrmica Rubra (European Fire Ants!) have eggs!

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:33 am

So almost a month ago I was out at the beach near Lake Ontario just to sit and enjoy the early morning. When I returned to my car it was covered in myrmica rubra elates. I actually got to observe the males tackling and doing their dance with the females. I took this opportunity to capture 4 females that the males had danced with.

I was uncertain as to their actual fertility. But I placed all four together in the same test tube setup with a small outworld since they are polygynous and semi-claustral. Up until today I had no idea if they were laying any eggs. But today I noticed that one of them was carrying one in it's jaws. Upon closer inspection, I discovered there was a clutch of them in the damp cotton of the test tube. I couldn't count how many because they blend in so well.

Incidentally, all of them are still alive and all of them still have wings although one of them did break off one of her wings. They never seem particularly bothered by my regularly checking up on them.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: My Myrmica Rubra (European Fire Ants!) have eggs!

Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:52 am

Sounds great. Got any progress on your colonies and how it's going?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

timeshell

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:00 pm

Sadly I've euthanized this colony. They got really badly infested with mites. I didn't know how to deal with them and I didn't want the mites to spread so I put this colony in the freezer. At least some of the queens had laid eggs, but I still don't know if they had mated successfully as the eggs never matured before I destroyed the colony.

:(

I know where I got them from so I'll try again next this year.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:10 pm

timeshell wrote:
Sadly I've euthanized this colony. They got really badly infested with mites. I didn't know how to deal with them and I didn't want the mites to spread so I put this colony in the freezer. At least some of the queens had laid eggs, but I still don't know if they had mated successfully as the eggs never matured before I destroyed the colony.

You could have tried lemons
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:24 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:10 pm
timeshell wrote:

You could have tried lemons
or harmless mites... you should've asked someone here first before doing that. it was worth giving them a shot
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)